Understanding Mold

      Believe it or not, mold is extremely common to find in a household and even in businesses. Water finds its way into buildings through plumbing, roof leaks, flooding from weather, showers, toilets, water heaters, over watering, improper drainage, in the air, and much more. If moisture enters building materials and is not able to dry, you will find that mold can grow within 2-4 days. These materials can include drywall, carpet & padding, insulation, wood cabinets, and more. Mold reproduces by way of spores that travel through the air until they land on a surface with enough moisture to start growing. Even though the spores are unable to be seen by the human eye, they can cause serious side effects to your health. Mold is commonly recognized by its distinctive growth patterns, different colors, and even odors. If you find mold or believe you have found mold, please call us today to schedule an inspection with a specialist.

     After finding mold, we highly recommend you avoid going near the area and that you stop all air flow into including fans/air conditioning that could be cross contaminating and spreading mold spores to other parts of your home or business. Although most mold is not deadly, it can have a variety of harmful side effects to your health. Common symptoms to mold exposure include: asthma flare ups, lung inflammation, coughing, sore throat, burning eyes, skin rash, and more.

It is important that you regularly do inspections on your home or business to ensure that there are no leaks which may be causing water damage or mold. 

Find out more about our Mold Remediation Process here!

Mold on wall
Diagram of house with different ways water can intrude and damage different materials

Frequently asked Mold questions

Mold starts as a spore in the air. As it lands on a moist surface, it can reproduce and grow. Mold thrives off of household building materials such as wet drywall. without water and oxygen, Mold cannot grow! to learn more, please visit www.epa.gov/mold

The term “Mold” refers to any species of Microscopic Fungi that grow in the form of multicellular filaments, called hyphae. Mildew is a specific kind of mold that is often found in showers, window sills and other places in the home with a high moisture level. Both produce a strong smell in a poorly ventilated room or space. 

The key ingredient in the growth of a mold spore is water! This is why you will most commonly find mold in showers, window sills, and other places that constantly get saturated with water. Water damage, such as a broken pipe or a leaky water heater can also lead to mold growth. It is very common for people to not even know they have a leak in their home until it is too late. If you do recognize water damage, please contact a Classic Restoration Pro immediately. Mold can begin to grow within 2-4 days in the right temperature and humidity level. 

  1. Mold is very serious and can cause health issues such as coughing, runny nose, eye irritation, allergic reactions and more. If you find mold, remove yourself from the area and call a mold certified Classic Restoration Pro immediately.
  2. Cutting off the moisture is the number one concern to remediate the mold. 
  3.  If materials in your home or business do get wet, it is important that they are dried properly within 48 hours to avoid mold growth. 

Mold can grow on virtually any substance or surface, paper, clothes, drywall, wood, etc. The more porous the object, the easier it is for mold to grow.